Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Grandma's Rice Pudding

Whenever I make something for dinner that is served with rice, I always make some extra so I can make my Grandmother's Rice Pudding. I adapted the recipe a bit from hers, but every time I make/eat this I think of how she always made it for us when we were under the weather growing up. It was such a treat and was so comforting to us. It tastes wonderful warm, and tastes just as good cold the next day.

Ingredients:
Cooked rice, left over from the previous day from the fridge is best - but it should at least be room temperature
1 cup milk
1 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup heavy cream or half & half
1/2 cup sugar (or to your taste)
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs yolks & 3 egg whites, separated
cinnamon
raisins

Directions:
1. In a sauce pan, add the corn starch, sugar, cinnamon (as much as you want), and milk, cook on medium heat. Separate eggs before you begin. Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Whisk milk mixture until it begins to thicken, then add some of the heated milk mixture to the egg yolk and mix. Then pour back into the sauce pan (this keeps eggs from cooking).
3. Add the vanilla, raisins and rice. You want to add enough rice so the mixture coats the rice. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring so the bottom doesn't burn.
4. Remove from heat. Beat the egg whites until they are fluffy. Pour the rice pudding into a dish, and pour the egg whites over the pudding, folding it in gently to the pudding. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and let set for at least 10 minutes.
5. Enjoy warm and cold!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you for such amazing information....if you love

recipes just like me....please check out the blog

mentioned below its really cool....!!!im sure you'll love

it!!!

http://staysharpwithrecepies.blogspot.com
http://staysharpwithdiet.blogspot.com