Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yummy Bread Pudding



I love bread pudding, and I tried some at a restaurant and thought to myself that I could make some changes and it would be that much better! The recipe below is a little different from the photo. I am not a huge nut person, so instead of chopped pecans on top, I added apples and raisins with some cinnamon. It turned out DELICIOUS!

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 1/2 to 5 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 apples, sliced (I used Golden Delicious Apples)
Raisins, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Beat together eggs, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk. Add sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved.
3. In a large bowl, dump in the bread cubes, sliced apples and raisins. Mix well and arrange bread mixture in a nine-inch baking dish, keeping the crust facing up around the edges in scattered within the dish. Pour liquid over the bread and sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Bake for 55 to 70 minutes, or until crust is golden brown all over the top

Maple Butter Sauce

The recipe called for a Whiskey Butter Sauce, but I found this recipe to use instead. I actually did end up making it, the bread pudding tasted just fine by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but next time I make it I'm gonna give this a try.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup maple syrup (not pancake syrup!)
1 tbsp butter, not margarine
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1. In a small saucepan, bring maple syrup and butter to a boil on medium heat. Boil for 3 min, stirring constantly
2. Cool to room temperature, and then whisk in the cream
3. Store in the refrigerator

No comments: